COMPANY PROFILE -Allergan
Business Sector :Pharmaceutical Industry
Operating Geography :Ireland, Europe, Global
About Allergan :Allergan plc, is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland. It is a bold, global pharmaceutical company and a leader in a new industry model – Growth Pharma. Allergan focuses on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceuticals, devices and biologic products for patients around the world. The company markets a portfolio of leading brands and best-in-class products for the central nervous system, eye care, medical aesthetics and dermatology, gastroenterology, women's health, urology and anti-infective therapeutic categories.
Allergan Revenue :14570.6 million USD (2016)
Competitive Analysis of Allergan
|1. A sound R&D strategy|
2. TEVA agreement
3. Operations in more than 100 countries with sound business strategy
|1. High dependency on suppliers
2. High dependency on regulatory laws in foreign countries as well as in the US
3. Dependency on small number of large wholesalers and distributors as primary customers
|1. Integrating recently acquired businesses to enhance profitability|
2. Improving control over suppliers as well customers
3. Timely development and launches of new products ahead of competitors
|1. Large competitors with deep pockets
2. Company can be subjected to various litigations
3. After market developments
US $11.72 Great quality, Affordable pricing.
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Allergan
1. A sound R&D strategy: Company devotes heavy funds and resources to R&D of branded products, biosimilars, and proprietary drug delivery technologies. The R&D strategy focuses on application of proprietary drug delivery technology for new product developments in specialty areas, acquisition of various development stage drugs and biosimilars and the development of sustained-release, semi-solid, liquid, oral transmucosal, transdermal, gel, injectable, and other drug delivery technologies and the application of these technologies to proprietary drug forms.
2. TEVA agreement: As a part of TEVA agreement, company received $33.3 billion in cash, net cash acquired by TEVA which included net working capital along with 100.3 million unregistered shares of TEVA which approximated to value of $ 5 billion. It also disinvested one of its part, Anda distribution technologies to TEVA at $ 500 million as it was not much profitable. So along with TEVA Agreement Company has started its realignment operations focussing on the profitable ventures.
3. Operations in more than 100 countries with sound business strategy: The company has sound business strategy which is focussing on three distinct operating segments namely US specialized Therapeutics, US general medicine, and International. Under international strategy, the company has its operations in more than 100 countries in Asia-Pacific, Europe, America, and Middle-East.
1. High Dependency on suppliers: First of all the supplier that the company recognizes has to be approved by Food and Drug Administration (FDA). After that certain raw materials that the company uses for manufacturing of drugs and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) are available from a limited number of suppliers and sometimes from only a single supplier. So any delay caused from the end of supplier can seriously interrupt the manufacturing operations. The company cannot afford to lose any of its suppliers.
2. Higher dependency on regulatory laws in foreign countries as well as in the US: Entire pharmaceutical industry including Allergan is subjected to complex, extensive regulations by FDA, US Drug Enforcement Association, Occupational Safety and Health Administration. In foreign countries also various similar agencies influence the production, distribution, testing, approval, labeling, and packaging of various products. So changes in laws which are normally made more stringent adversely affect the performance of the company.
3. Dependency on small number of larger wholesalers and distributors as the primary customers: Sale to certain customers accounted for more than 10% of their revenue in each of the last three years. These significant customers have a wide distribution coverage in North America. As a result, small number of big customers control a larger share of market which increases the buyers’ power which eventually is detrimental to the company.
1. Integrating recently acquired businesses to enhance profitability: Recently in 2016 Allergan has acquired Tobira Therapeutics Inc., Vitae Pharmaceuticals Inc., ForSight VISION Inc. The companies if integrated properly regarding culture, alignment of vision, business practices could result into hefty profits for Allergan as the acquisitions are done keeping in mind the business strategy of acquiring the companies which are complementing the business of the company.
2. Improving control over suppliers as well customers: The company currently is not holding a position of power in front of their suppliers as well as buyers because, in both suppliers and buyers case, small number of big players are controlling the markets. The company’s expansion in new international markets brings them the opportunity to find new potential suppliers as well as the buyers which can help the company acquire greater power during negotiations.
3. Timely development and launches of new products ahead of competitors: Pharmaceutical Industry is a highly competitive industry, and a first mover advantage can prove to be immensely beneficial to company’s revenue. Robust R&D strategy provides the company an opportunity to develop and launch new products ahead of competitors. Effective marketing of the product and the brand symbolizing technological innovations will improve the sales of the company’s products.
The unpublished sections of the entire SWOT analysis is available in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
US $11.72 Great quality, Affordable pricing.
Check out analysis of other relevant companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Allergan SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Parth Joshi and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.