COMPANY PROFILE -Amgen
Business Sector :Pharmaceutical
Operating Geography :United States, North America, Global
About Amgen :Amgen Inc. is an American biopharmaceutical MNC founded in 1980. It was formerly known as Applied Molecular Genetics(1980-1983) till its initial public offering in 1983. Amgen has acquired more than 16 companies since its existence. Its headquarters are located in Thousand Oaks, California, US. As per recent data, it has at least 12 approved drugs or therapeutic of biologicals for 17 conditions. It has its presence in approximately 100 countries with almost 19,200 employees as of Dec 2016.
Amgen Revenue :22.99 Billion US $ – FY Dec 2016
Competitive Analysis of Amgen
|1. Regularly innovating and developing new products |
2. Biology-first approach
3. World’s largest independent biotechnology firm
|1. Huge Cost incurred for research and development of new products
2. Sales of some most popular products are falling
|1. There are still many life threatening diseases exist with no cure which can be developed |
2. Expansion to developing nations
|1. Sales affected due to third party payers including government and US legislation
2. Protection provided by patents is limited and can be challenged by competitors
US $9.52 Great quality, Affordable pricing.
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Amgen
1. Regularly innovating and developing new products: The company focuses on the the development of innovative medicines to address important unmet needs in patients with serious illness. These needs guide the company to relocate the resources across Amgen’s best internal as well as the external programs accessible to them within 6 core therapeutic areas they deal with. Different approach aim to increase the likelihood of success and also reduce the development timeliness and lower cost of developing the newly developed medicines availability to patients.
2. Biology – First Approach: Amgen has pursued the ideology of “biology-first” approach for discovery of the drugs. So, in a way it strives hard to choose a drug target based on a deep understanding of biology of disease. After that, it selects the drug modality, or structural template which is best possible solution for the target. This helps in creating the differentiate Amgen from other competitors in the market.
3. World’s largest independent biotechnology firm: The firm focuses on new medicine based on advancement in cellular and molecular biology. Also, it markets recombinant protein therauptics in care for cancer, in nephrology, as well as in inflammation too. Amgen also develops treatment for kidney disease, arthritis, other bone related and serious diseases. As per latest financial reports, total assets was close to 77626 million dollars.
1. Huge cost incurred for research and development of new products: Amgen categorizes all its research and development activities into three categories Discovery research and translational science, later stage clinical program, marketed products. And as per 2016 data, all three stages costed around 1039, 1054 and 1747 million dollars. So, total cost amounts to be 3840 million dollars. Although, many Amgen products are benefitted from the subsidy by the federal research subsidies but these can not overcome the overall cost incurred.
2. Sale of some most popular products are falling: As per financial report of 2016, the sale of major products are seen to be declining. Products names and details are as follows – Neulasta sales decreased by 3% for fourth quarter and 1% for whole financial year, Epogen sales decreased by 8% for fourth quarter and 31% in the complete financial year, Neupogen sales decreased by 34% for fourth quarter and 27% for whole financial year. These products were once high selling and being in demand products. But, these are decreasing in demand which is a big concern for the company.
1. There are still many life threatening diseases exist with no cure which can be developed: There are many diseases for which cure is not available. Various kinds of diseases are spreading due to human deeds which includes population increase, pollution etc. Those diseases include Asthama, Diabetes, Ebola virus, HIV – for these diseases, no any cure is available so that the patient can be 100% safe. Although, it is possible that some of them can be stopped/paused In their preliminary stage. Being one of top pharmaceutical company Amgen can surely look for opportunities by developing the live saving medicines.
2. Expansion to developing countries: currently Amgen is having business mostly in North America and south America, Europe and China when we talk about bulk. But still Asian African countries are not yet tapped. This can be seen as plethora of opportunity as these two continents have larger population and will require more cure for diseases than those places where population is low. So, seeing this, Amgen needs to establish its branches or subsidiaries in these countries. This will help in getting better margins as well as catering to more number of population in these developing nations.
The unpublished sections of the entire SWOT analysis is available in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
US $9.52 Great quality, Affordable pricing.
Check out analysis of other relevant companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Amgen SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Harsh Vaibhav and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.
Copyright of Amgen SWOT and PESTLE Analysis is the property of Barakaat Consulting. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for usage guidelines.
The text on www.swotandpestle.com are the property of Barakaat Consulting. While every attempt has been made to ensure completeness, accuracy and reliability of the analysis, Barakaat Consulting and its associate websites cannot be held responsible for omissions or errors in our pages or any links on any of our pages. Analyses published by us above may not totally reflect the company's opinions, reader's discretion is advised. Users have the right to choose the products that suits them the most.