COMPANY PROFILE -Komatsu
Business Sector :Engineering and Capital Goods
Operating Geography :Asia, Japan, Global
About Komatsu :Komatsu Ltd. founded in May13,1921, is a Japanese multinational company, operating in sale and manufacturing of machines required for construction and mining, forest equipment as well as for industrial machinery. The company is headquartered in Tokyo is a part of Komatsu Group along with 179 other companies. The company employs around 47,017 employees across the world including all the subsidiaries of the Komatsu Group.
Komatsu Revenue :1854.9 Billions Yen – FY ending March 2015
Competitive Analysis of Komatsu
|1. Healthy product portfolio across construction, mining, utility and industrial machinery|
2. Globalized sales and operations functions
3. Komatsu’s connected GEMBA through IOT
|1. Weak business results – declining sales and profits|
|1. Construction sector to see huge upsurge of growth|
2. Growth in mining sector
|1. Social problems – labor shortage
2. Environmental concerns
US $17.53 Great quality, Affordable pricing.
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Komatsu
1) Healthy product portfolio across construction, mining, utility and industrial machinery: Komatsu Limited has a wide range of product assortment across sectors like construction and mining – Hydrauli excavator, Wheel loader, Bull dozer, Dump truck; Utility equipments – Motor grader, Mini hydraulic excavator, Forklift truck, harvester and mobile crusher; industrial machinery – Press system, cutting machine, transfer machine and other special machines like Tunneling machines, diesel engine generators and Engines. Such a huge diversified portfolio make Komatsu an one stop solution for OEM and earn a huge brand recognition.
2) Globalized sales and operations functions: Komatsu Ltd. is having market presence in many regions along with 203 distributors across North America, Japan, Europe, Latin America, CIS, China, Asia, Oceania, Middle East and Africa. There are 27 assembly & manufacturing plants that are spread across East Asia, North America, Latin America, India, Australia and Europe. Thus Komatsu has huge market risk hedging opportunities towards regional disturbances and better responsiveness towards market demands as per the requirement of various countries.
3) Komatsu’s connected GEMBA through IOT: Komatsu connects its plants, distributors and customers to improve the value generation in its products through innovation, automated and unmanned operation and improve safety and environmental performance though solutions like KOMTRAX (Komatsu Machine Tracking system), SMARTCONSTRUCTION & AUTONOMUS HAULAGE SYSTEM.
1) Weak business results-declining sales and profits: Komatsu Limited has faced decline in financial performance in 2015 with respect to 2014 – a year earlier. There is 6.3% decline in net sales, 13.8% decline in operating income while ROE has dropped by 1.6 points to 9%.
1) Construction sector to see huge upsurge of growth: Huge capital investments is expected in the real estate sector. This coupled with high industrial facility enhancement is expected to drive the earthmoving equipment industry to USD134.86 Billion by 2021 at annual CAGR of 4.59%. China and United States are expected to be the major drivers in their respective regions.
2) Growth in mining sector: Huge capital investments are expected to drive the demand for industrial metals. Mining sector is expected to rise at a CAGR of 6.42% to USD 136.03 Billion by 2021.
1) Social problems – labor shortage: Human resource problems owing to the growing of ageing population in Japan combined with reduced child birth rate that leads to decline of young engineers into the workforce. This leads to creation of labor shortage in the domestic market which is expected to rise to 16% by 2020.
2) Environmental concerns: Environmental policies against the mining sectors are getting tougher and complex which leads to slow creation demand for the earth moving equipments. Industrial Emissions Directive(IED) recently adopted by EU will be formalizing BAT process as well as incorporate additional clearance requirements. EU water framework directive establishes environmental quality standards for water streams as well as holds the owners liable for the quality of the water streams affected.Komatsu SWOT analysis has been conducted by Anindhya Sadhu and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.
US $17.53 Great quality, Affordable pricing.