COMPANY PROFILE -Lindt & Sprüngli
Business Sector :Confectionery
Operating Geography :Switzerland, Europe, Global
About Lindt & Sprüngli :
The Lindt & Sprüngli group is considered as the market leader in premium quality chocolate market. Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG, more popular as Lindt, is a Swiss confectionery company and was founded in 1845. It was started by a father and son who manufactured solid chocolate in their small confectionery Sprungli & Son. It is well known for its specialty in chocolate truffles and chocolate bars among other sweets. During these 175 years of operation it has spread across 120 countries worldwide and is known as one of the most innovative and creative companies in the premium chocolate making market. It has its headquarters in Kilchberg, Switzerland and it employs 14,621 people as of 2020. Lindt now has 12 production sites in Europe and USA. Its chocolate products are then distributed by 26 subsidiary companies and branch offices in more than 490 own stores. It has a very comprehensive network of more than 100 independent distributors across worldwide.
Lindt’s unique selling proposition or USP lies in its incomparable, unique taste and fine melting texture. This is attributed to its art of expertise, long lasting experience and dedication for uncompromised quality. The global and local range of finest quality chocolates present worldwide makes it the popular brand that it is today. Lindt was ranked 346 on Forbes List for World’s Best Employers 2019 and 206 as Top Regarded Companies 2019.
Lindt & Sprüngli Revenue :
CHF 4509 million – FY ending 31st December 2019 (Y-o-Y growth of +4.5%)
CHF 4313 million – FY ending 31st December 2018
Competitive Analysis of Lindt & Sprüngli
|1. Leading provider for premium chocolate in Travel Retail Segment|
2. Strong global retail performance over years
3. Strong market share in Europe
4. Faster growth than the overall chocolate market
5. #1 premium chocolate brand in North American markets
6. Strong financial performance year on year
|1. Voluntary recall of one product lot|
|1. Investments in store experiences to drive growth from millennials|
2. Increasing demand for dark chocolate
3. Huge potential in Asian and African markets
4. Increasing impulse product portfolio
|1. Increase in price of raw materials such as cocoa
2. Intense competition in the chocolate market
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Lindt & Sprüngli
1. Leading provider for premium chocolate in Travel Retail Segment: Lindt has been a leading premium chocolate provider in the travel segment and was also awarded DFNI prize for the opening of Lindt Chocolate Boutique in Zurich airport. It had a special counter dedicated to Lindt Master chocolatiers who prepare fresh chocolate creations daily. Lindt has successfully launched new shop-in-shop concepts in prime airport location in Paris, Istanbul, Sydney, Miami, Delhi and Sau Paulo. It also had launched campaigns to celebrate Chinese New Year in Asian airports. The distributors all over the globe have also been witnessing higher growth margins. The duty-free chocolates available at multiple airports have made Lindt a special buy of the customer for their loved ones as Lindt continues to enjoy the market leader for premium chocolate in Travel retail.
2. Strong global retail performance over years: Lindt has been observing double digit growth in global retail consecutively for 10 years which has been a great achievement. Fiscal 2019 saw an increase of 11.8% in the global retail sales growth. Lindt stores are now open in more than 500 prime sites across the globe. Millions of customers visit the stores each year. The strategy of opening more and more international shops to build its own network has helped Lindt in increasing the brand value and positioning itself in the premium segment. Lindt shops are located in malls, as boutiques, selected tourist destinations, hotspots of cities etc. where one can expect a large footfall. All the shops offer a huge variety to select from with exclusive products and seasonal chocolate creations to delight the chocolate lovers. Lindt also offers wide variety of gifts for the customers to choose from for any occasion and the customers can get any personalized gift also for their loved ones.
3. Strong market share in Europe: Europe is the largest region with around 47.6% of total Lindt’s sales. Total sales in Europe account for 2.15 billion CHF which grew around 6.2% in the last financial year. All the major countries in Europe are key to the increasing market share of Lindt. Germany accounts for most of the sales for around 15.1% followed by France, Italy and UK. Lindt is also considering expansion in the European market and opened new subsidiary in Netherlands. It also added attractive ranges like Lindt Excellence Supermilk for the European region. It also launched new Lindor recipe with pistachio flavor keeping in mind he preference of Europeans. Switzerland saw the opening of Lindt’s 11th shop in Interlaken which was one f the top Europe flagship store. The opening event of Lindt chocolate shop at Zurich airport was graced by Roger Federer who has have a strong relation with Lindt. There were many innovations done in Switzerland which led to successful launches like Lindt Excellence Passion Orange Amnade, Famboise Noisettes etc. Such initiatives have helped Lindt maintain its strong presence in the European market.
The remaining section of “Strength” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
WeaknessThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
OpportunityThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
ThreatsThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
Major Competitors :
- Mondelez International
- palmer Candy
Major Brands :
- Rusell Stover
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
References used in Lindt & Sprüngli Analysis Report
1. Lindt & Sprungli Annual Report 2019 - https://report.lindt-spruengli.com/19/ar/app/themes/lindtspruengli/dist/pdf/WEB_GB19_Gesamt_en.pdf
2. Lindt & Sprüngli (USA) Inc. Issues Voluntary Recall on Undeclared Milk and Soy in One Lot of Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa Chocolate Bars - https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/lindt-sprungli-usa-inc-issues-voluntary-recall-undeclared-milk-and-soy-one-lot-lindt-excellence-85
3. Lindt invests in store experiences and targets Millennials with updated offer - https://www.moodiedavittreport.com/lindt-invests-in-store-experiences-and-targets-millennials-with-updated-offer/
4. What will drive growth of chocolate in India? - deep dive, part two - https://www.just-food.com/analysis/what-will-drive-growth-of-chocolate-in-india-deep-dive-part-two_id142722.aspx
The detailed complete set of references are available on request in the 'Complete report' on purchase.
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
Lindt & Sprungli SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2021). Lindt & Sprungli SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/lindt-sprungli/ [Accessed 20 Jan, 2021].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2021)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Lindt & Sprüngli SWOT & PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Sushree Lasyamayee and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.