COMPANY PROFILE -Mastercard
Business Sector :Banking and Financial Services, Payments
Operating Geography :North America, United States, Global
About Mastercard :MasterCard, founded in 1966 as Interbank Card Association, is an American multinational financial services corporation, specializing in credit cards, payment services and solutions. It was created by collation of several California banks, to act as a competitor to the BankAmericard issued by Bank of America and renamed as MasterCard in 1979. The company is headquartered in Purchase (New York), United States and has over 10,300 employees globally.
Mastercard Revenue :US$ 10,776 million – FY ending December 2016
Competitive Analysis of Mastercard
|1. Healthy balance sheet with strong financials |
2. Second highest market share in payment cards segment
3. Implementation of latest payment technology
|1. Claims and legal proceedings
2. Foreign exchange and market risk
3. Credit card delinquencies
|1. Growth in global e-commerce|
2. New card accounts on the rise
|1. Losses due to card frauds
2. Security issues due to data breach
3. Competition from entry of new players
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Mastercard
1. Growth in global e-commerce: The e-commerce markets are expected to be worth US$2.4 trillion by 2019, with 23% of that being exclusively from mobile devices. Alternative methods of payment like e-wallets, will claim 55% of e-commerce turnover by 2019. The Company can tap markets through e-wallets and increased mobile payments to ensure future growth.
2. New card accounts on the rise: In its quarterly report, the American Bankers Association reports new card accounts at 85 million in 2016 Q2, which is 11% more, over the previous year. The latest reading is also closer to the recession-era high of 92 million, as seen in Q2, 2008. This is good news for card companies looking to increase their revenues.
1. Losses due to card frauds: Card fraud losses incurred by banks was at $21.84 billion in 2015. Fraud, which has grown by 20.6%, outpaced volume, which itself grew by 7.3%, according to The Nilson Report. CNP (Card not Present) transactions still cause fraud losses to merchants and acquirers. Losses due to CNP fraud exceeds $5.65bn during 2015, with growth witnessed in nearly all countries. By 2020, card fraud throughout the world is expected to mushroom to a total of $31.67 billion.
2. Security issues due to data breach: Mastercard faces constant threat of cyber attacks on data related to cardholder information. Back in 2012 the Company was investigating a possible breach that could have affected 10 million cardholders. Mastercard needs to work with its customers and merchants to reduce hacks and data breaches and ensure that they can deal with increasing cybersecurity threats an efficient way.
3. Competition from entry of new players: New players like UnionPay from China are entering markets in the United States and Germany by providing exclusive privileges and ATM coverage. UnionPay’s market share in 2014 was at 2%, but is expected to increase to 5% by 2019. Rupay is also an emerging player in the Indian markets and has gained significant market share in the last two years. These players also charge less processing fees compared to palyers like Mastercard and pose significant threat to Mastercard’s market share.
The unpublished sections of the entire SWOT analysis is available in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
MasterCard SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2020). MasterCard SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/mastercard/ [Accessed 02 Jul, 2020].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2020)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
MasterCard SWOT and PESTLE analysis is reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.