COMPANY PROFILE -Motorola Solutions
Business Sector :Telecommunication, Communications Equipment Company
Operating Geography :United States, North America, Global
About Motorola Solutions :Motorola Solutions, Inc., is an American company which provides data communications and telecommunication equipment, an offspring of the Motorola Company, following the spinoff of the mobile phone division into Motorola Mobility in 2011. It has its headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. The company is the legal successor of the old Motorola, Inc. Which was founded in 1928; In January, 2011 Motorola Solutions started trading as a separate independent company. It manufactures and sells communications products and services to public safety and government agencies (law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, and national government security) and also private entities which involves utilities, mining, energy, hospitality, retail, manufacturing, transportation and logistics. The company also produces two-way radios and public radio systems for first-responders, law enforcement and software packages for command centers, mapping and drone surveillance. Motorola Solutions also manufactures body cameras under the Watchguard Video brand, emergency sirens under the Futurecom Systems brand and security surveillance under the Avigilon brand. In September 2020, the company completed its acquisition of Polaris Networks a global Solutions provider for wireless technologies. On 11 February, 2021 Motorola Solutions announced a new Video-as-a-Service offering, which combines body-worn cameras, digital evidence management software and cloud-based support in a bundle for law enforcement agencies.
Motorola Solutions Inc.'s Unique Selling Proposition or USP lies in it being a global leader in mission-critical communications and analytics. The company's mission statement reads, "Since 1928, Motorola Solutions has revolutionized communications - creating innovative, mission-critical communication solutions and services that help public safety and commercial customers build safer cities and thriving communities".
Motorola Solutions is a global leader in mission critical communications and analytics. In mission critical messaging, command center software and video surveillance, their infrastructure systems, assisted by controlled and support services, make cities safer and assist neighborhoods and businesses to prosper. In over 100 nations, the company represents more than 100,000 public protection and industrial clients and has a strong engineering history spanning more than 90 years. We serve our customers with a global footprint of sales in more than 100 countries and 17,000 employees worldwide utilizing our industry leading innovation and a deep portfolio of products and services.
Motorola Solutions Revenue :
US$ 7.89 billion – FY ending 31st December, 2019
US$ 7.34 billion – FY ending 31st December, 2018
Competitive Analysis of Motorola Solutions
The SWOT analysis for Motorola Solutions is presented below in a matrix followed by the detailed analysis report
|1. Diversified product portfolio catering to a wide range of clients|
2. Thousands of patents focused on wireless technologies and mission-critical
3. Addressing public safety challenges with cloud-based solutions
4. Global commitment and Corporate Social Responsibility at Motorola Solutions
5. Growing emphasis on Research & Development
|1. Losing on a substantial portfolio of intellectual property rights, including patents due to divestiture|
|1. Huge addressable market and global presence|
2. The APX NEXT digital launch – A promising innovation
3. Motorola expands Cybersecurity services to defend public safety agencies
4. Telstra and Motorola Solutions to deliver public safety communication network for Tasmania
|1. Competitive bidding and subsequent consequences
2. Increasing competition in the industry
3. Major impact in growth due to political instability and Covid-19 pandemic
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Motorola Solutions
1. Diversified product portfolio catering to a wide range of clients: The Company has a diverse range of products consisting of communication infrastructure, computers, applications, accessories and services. These products appeal to a wide variety of customers that need private communications networks and handle a broad workforce that is high in mobility, such as government, public security agencies, emergency services, municipalities, and commercial and industrial clients. The primary clients of the Integration of Goods and Systems section are agencies, municipalities, and commercial and industrial clients running private communications networks and video solutions that usually handle a mobile workforce are government, public safety and first-responder agencies. In 2019, the net sales of the division were $5.3 billion, reflecting 68 percent of the company’s net sales combined. The Software and Services division offers government, public safety and industrial customers a wide variety of solution offerings. "Software includes a software suite for public safety and enterprise command center, unified communications applications, and video software solutions, both provided on-site and "as a service”. Services include a range of offerings, including repair, technical assistance and maintenance. Tracking, software upgrades and cybersecurity services provide more specialized offerings. The segment's net sales in 2019 were $2.6 billion, reflecting 32% of the company’s net consolidated sales.
2. Thousands of patents focused on wireless technologies and mission-critical: A significant part of the company’s activities is patent security. They have a portfolio of patents orbiting around their goods, systems and innovations relating to U.S. and international utilities and architecture, including advances in radio frequency technology and circuits, wireless network technologies, over-the-air protocols, mission critical communications, applications and services, video surveillance, and public safety for the next generation. The company licenses some of their patents to third parties to earn a royalty, but licensing is not an essential source of revenue for Motorola. Motorola is allowed to use some other-owned patents as well. The royalties and licensing fees vary from year to year and are subject to the terms of the contracts and to the sales amounts of the approved goods. The company is actively interested in developing standards for interoperable, mission-critical two-way digital radio systems. Their patents are used for specifications which are focused on their goods and services. They offer standards-based licences on equal, equitable and non-discriminatory terms for certain patents.
The remaining section of “Strength” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
WeaknessThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
OpportunityThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
ThreatThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
Major Competitors :
- West Corporation
- Axis Communication
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
References used in Motorola Solutions Analysis Report
1. 2019 Annual Report - https://www.annualreports.com/HostedData/AnnualReports/PDF/NYSE_MSI_2019.pdf
2. Motorola Solutions - https://namrinfo.motorolasolutions.com/commandcentral-cloud-use-cases-white-paper?_ga=2.253038217.1044883798.1609438063-1614911878.1609438063
3. Investor Overview Presentation November 2020 - https://s25.q4cdn.com/634367110/files/doc_downloads/CompanyOverview/Investor-Overview-Presentation-Nov-2020.pdf
4. APX NEXT Overview | Two-way Smart Radio – Motorola Solutions - https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us/products/p25-products/apx-next-story.html
5. Motorola Solutions Expands Cybersecurity Services to Secure Mission-Mission-Critical Operations - https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2021-01-05/motorola-solutions-expands-cybersecurity-services-to-secure-mission-critical-operations
The detailed complete set of references are available on request in the 'Complete report' on purchase.
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
Motorola Solutions SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2021). Motorola Solutions SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/motorola-solutions/ [Accessed 21 Apr, 2021].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2021)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Motorola Solutions SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Tatsat Chopra and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.