COMPANY PROFILE - Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)
Business Sector : Chemicals and Agrichem
Operating Geography : Global
About Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) : The Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) is an incorporated Saudi Stock Company with its business activities concentrated in manufacturing, marketing and distribution of products divided into four strategic business units - Petrochemicals, Specialties, Agro-nutrients and Metals - in local, regional and global markets. It is ranked among world’s largest petrochemicals manufacturers and is Middle East’s largest non-oil industrial company with 70% of the company’s shares owned by the Saudi Arabian Government and remaining publicly traded by Saudi Arabian, GCC citizens, enterprises, public and foreign financial institutions as of 2017. SABIC has constructed and developed 22 industrial complexes in Saudi Arabia, owns a global technology network of 21 Research, Development and Innovation Centres, operates in more than 64 operational sites in over 50 countrieson the global map with a global workforce of over 35,000 talented individuals as on Dec 2016.
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) Revenue : SR 132.8 million – FY ending Dec 2016
Competitive Analysis of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)
|1. Among the world’s market leaders in production of polyethylene, polypropylene and advanced thermoplastics, glycols, methanol, and fertilizers|
2. Strong distribution and presence across all major markets globally
|1. High dependence on natural, mostly non-renewable feedstocks
2. High level of cyclicality in petrochemical industry
|1. Growth in petrochemical, agro-nutrients and specialties manufacturing through the way of acquisition opportunities|
2. Multiple investment opportunities in U.S.
|1. Volatile energy price
2. Risk of climate pricing
3. Saudi Arabia as a whole trying to diversify its economy and lessen reliance on oil
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)
1. Growth in petrochemical, agro-nutrients and specialties manufacturing through the way of acquisition opportunities: According to the company Vice Chairman and CEO Yousef Al-Benyan, SABIC can push its position from the 4th biggest petrochemical manufacturing company to the top 3 manufacturers after DOW Chemicals and BASF . The company has reported 80% jump in net profits of the first quarter of FY17 over the same time last year. SABIC aims to spend $3 - $10 billion in acquisitions over next five years with operations in Europe, Middle East and China. They further seeking ways to expand the agro-nutrients operations in Africa and South America.
The detailed Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat - SWOT Analysis Report along with Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal and Environmental - PESTLE Analysis Report is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
|1. Agreed to build $20 billion complex with state-owned Saudi Aramco to convert 45% of crude oil into chemicals||1. Efforts to participate in Asia’s determined efforts towards rapid economic development|
|1. Focus on increase in social values||1. Continued efforts to make technological advancements|
|1. Lawsuits faced in various countries related to workers strike in Saudi, production of innovative plastics in Japan and South Korea.||1. Intensive efforts in long-term investments to preserve safety and health
2. The Metal SBU of the company seeks to add three more products that has “sustainability principle”
3. Need measures to meet requirements of the Environmental Department in the Royal Commission for Jubail
Detailed PESTLE Analysis of Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC)
1. Efforts to participate in Asia’s determined efforts towards rapid economic development: Asian markets garner 29% of total revenue for SABIC (FY Dec 2016). Hence, the strong relationship between West Asia and East Asia forms an important economic power within the Asian bloc and becomes the top priority for Saudi Arabia to build strategic partnerships particularly with China and other Asian countries. For example, when South Korea banned the production of innovative plastics in the country, India welcomed SABIC to produce these products on their lands. SABIC Vice Chairman and CEO Yousef Al-Benyan added that SABIC is seeking strengthening relationships in the areas of sustainability and innovation and adopting free trade policies to maintain economic growth in the region with its Asian affiliates since Asia is playing a much stronger role in world economy.
The detailed Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal and Environmental - PESTLE Analysis Report along with Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat - SWOT Analysis Report is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
Check out analysis of other relevant companies
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC) SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Khushboo Kadmawala and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.