COMPANY PROFILE -Maersk
Business Sector :Shipping, Integrated Transport and Logistics
Operating Geography :Europe, Denmark, Global
About Maersk :The Maersk Group is an integrated transport & logistics company with multiple brands and is a global leader in container shipping and ports. Including a stand-alone Energy division, the Maersk Group employs roughly 88.000 employees across operations in 130 countries. The two main industries in which they operate in are Transportation & Logistics and Energy.
Maersk Revenue :USD 35.46 million (FY16)
Competitive Analysis of Maersk
|1. Global network of businesses|
2. Strong brand with skilled workforce
3. Investment in innovation strengthening competitive advantage
4. Emphasis on sustainability
|1. Loss reported due to impairments|
2. Fluctuating margin and rising costs
|1. Strategic partnerships and acquisitions|
2. Expansion to other related business segments and switching to alternative options
3. More inroads in sustainability
|1. Increased trade protectionism policies|
2. Major accidents or oil spills
3. Downturn in transportation and logistics market
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Maersk
1. Global network of businesses: Maersk has operations in 130 countries with Maersk Line, the group’s primary transportation & logistics business having 15.8% global market share. Its two main industries are transportation & logistics and energy. Transport & Logistics consists of Maersk Line, APM Terminals, Damco, Svitzer and Maersk Container Industry. The mission of these businesses is to enable and facilitate global supply chains and provide opportunities for customers to trade globally. Energy consists of Maersk Oil, Maersk Drilling, Maersk Supply Service and Maersk Tankers. After the Hamburg Sud acquisition gets completed by FY17, Maersk will further increase its network and market share in East Coast South America trade.
The remaining section under "Strength" is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
1. Loss reported due to impairments: Even in difficult times, the Maersk Group delivered a profit of USD 5.2bn and an underlying profit of USD 4.5bn in 2015. The Group delivered a strong cash flow from operating activities of USD 8.8bn in 2015 despite a significant decline in container freight rates and oil prices. However the results were unsatisfactory in 2016 majorly impacted by post-tax impairments of USD 2.8bn which resulted in an overall loss of USD 1.9bn. These impairments were to primarily relating to Maersk Drilling and Maersk Supply Service.
2. Fluctuating margin and rising costs: Maersk has often missed earnings forecast and lost market share due to uncertainty in the industry and fluctuating demand. But in spite all this, it has managed to the most profitable operator amongst other players in the industry. Also, due to the global economic conditions. Logistics cost has increased manifold for the company. But steps are being taken to bring down the cost and safeguard the profitability of the company even in these challenging times.
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check out analysis of other relevant companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
References used in Maersk Analysis Report
2. Maersk Q1 2017 report: http://investor.maersk.com/common/download/download.cfm?companyid=ABEA-3GG91Y&fileid=942439&filekey=74BCF21F-9B4B-4FAC-82E6-7F1B08AC02D1&filename=Maersk_Q1_2017_Presentation.pdf
3. Maersk Annual Magazine 2016: http://investor.maersk.com/common/download/download.cfm?companyid=ABEA-3GG91Y&fileid=926934&filekey=CD22EA2A-BD16-4836-9060-F23597E51CE1&filename=Maersk_Annual_Magazine_2016.pdf
4. Maersk Sustainability: http://www.maersk.com/en/the-maersk-group/sustainability/the-environment
The detailed set of references are available on request in the 'Complete report' on purchase.
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Maersk SWOT and PESTLE analysis is reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.