COMPANY PROFILE -Transocean Ltd
Business Sector :Offshore Oil Drilling, Oil and Gas
Operating Geography :Switzerland, Europe, Global
About Transocean Ltd :Transocean Ltd is the leading offshore supplier of contract drilling services for oil and gas wells. It is headquartered in Vernier, Switzerland. The company was set up as a result of amalgamation of Southern Natural Gas Company with many smaller drilling companies. The company leverages the talent of 6600 employees in 20 countries around the world. In 1970s, Transocean started as a whaling company and enlarged through a series of mergers and the new company was known as Transocean offshore. The company started building huge drilling operations. Transocean specializes in technically demanding sectors of the global offshore drilling business with special attention on ultra-deep water and harsh environment drilling services. Transocean specializes in technically demanding sectors of the global offshore drilling business with special attention to ultra-deep water and harsh environment drilling services. The company has invented several new technologies including ADC, Halo guard, Hybrid on-board power plant and shear which focuses on multiple aspects like ensuring safety of crew, drilling more efficiently and protection of environment with reduction in fuel consumption and emission. In 2020, the company displayed outstanding performance by delivering revenue in line with their guidance overcoming the hurdles of Covid-19 to meet the contractual requirement of their customers.
Transocean Ltd.’s Unique Selling Proposition or USP lies in it being the world's largest offshore drilling contractor. The company aims to be the chief offshore drilling company by supplying rig-based well construction services to their customers through motivated people, innovative technology, quality equipment with special attention to environmental needs.
Transocean Ltd Revenue :
$ 3,088 million - FY ending 31st December 2019 (y-o-y growth 2.32%)
$ 3,018 million - FY ending 31st December 2018
Competitive Analysis of Transocean Ltd
|1. Expertise in harsh environment drilling|
2. Largest fleet of high specification and movable oil drilling rigs
3. Collaboration with major oil producers across the world
4. Fleet availability in all parts of the world
5. Strong financials even after cyclical losses
6. One of the most innovative companies in offshore drilling
|1. Absence in onshore drilling
2. No Jack-up and other low specification rigs in the fleet
3. High dependence on small number of consumers
4. Highly capital intensive business
|1. High specification fleet allow advantage over other forms of exploration|
2. Growth prospects of deep water drilling
3. Expansion through M&A
|1. All major consumers curtailing expenses
2. High volatility in oil prices making growth unpredictable
3. Growth of e-mobility and remote working may stagnate downstream industry growth
4. Substantial debt on business amid pandemic may hurt free cash flow
5. Competitive business environment
6. Risks of annulment of backlogs
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Transocean Ltd
1. Expertise in harsh environment drilling: Transocean has a fleet of 14 harsh environment floaters. Norway is the largest harsh environment market for oil exploration and drilling. The company’s multiple harsh environment submersibles are dedicated to drilling in the harsh environment of Norwegian North Sea and Barents Sea. It is in collaboration with one of the largest oil and gas company, Shell in that region and Shell is the biggest consumer of Transocean due to its technical prowess in drilling in extreme weather conditions around the Arctic Circle. Due to increasing unrest in the Middle East, many companies are heading towards this region and looking at that, surplus harsh environment rigs are kept ready to serve the market requirements. Transocean holds the record to possess first hybrid fuel-efficient floater for harsh environment, Transocean Spitsbergen. One of the floaters is fitted with automated drilling control system and five more are planned to be fitted with advanced tools for efficient and safe drilling.The remaining section of “Strength” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
1. Absence in onshore drilling: The oil drilling market is largely divided into onshore and offshore drilling. The offshore drilling comprise of oil wells under the seabed whereas the onshore drilling consists of sites located on the land. 70% of the worldwide oil production comprises of onshore drilling. Onshore drilling has lesser backlogs as 65% of the onshore wells exhaust within the first year itself. Added with it, onshore drilling does not face scarcity of workforce as the need to stay in adverse condition, in the middle of the sea, may be avoided in onshore drilling. Transocean is a legacy holder and veteran in offshore drilling. However, it has no share in the larger part of the market, i.e., onshore drilling. It only trades with risky offshore drilling and highly dependent on handful of companies who are interested in offshore drilling. Most of the oil producers prefer onshore drilling due to shorter duration of drilling before extraction of oil and minimized risk factors. During a downturn of oil prices, onshore exploration may be paused and companies can easily plug the losses. Offshore drilling requires greater investment of assets and requires greater time to recover losses after upturn in oil prices as oil drilling in offshore basins cannot be stopped but only could be slowed down and operation cycle is also longer (more than 5 years). It is always preferable to diversify business to remain immune to fluctuating prices of products and services.The remaining section of “Weakness” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
OpportunityThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
ThreatsThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
Major Competitors :
- Seadrill Limited
- Noble Corporation
- Pacific Drilling
- Diamond Offshore Drilling
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
References used in Transocean Ltd Analysis Report
1. ANNUAL REPORT For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2019 - https://investor.deepwater.com/static-files/a7a213c3-b7e2-442e-b6d0-40ff8ae64876
2. The 3 Primary Types of Offshore Oil Rigs - https://www.arnolditkin.com/personal-injury-blog/2015/december/the-3-primary-types-of-offshore-oil-rigs/
3.The Differences Between Offshore And Onshore Oil Drilling - http://www.oilscams.org/offshore-vs-onshore-oil-drilling
4. 2020 Deep Water Drilling Market Insights - Leading Players are Transocean, Seadrill Limited, Noble Corporation, Pacific Drilling, and Diamond Offshore Drilling - ResearchAndMarkets.com - https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200417005411/en/2020-Deep-Water-Drilling-Market-Insights-
5. Execution, collaboration and innovation key to improving economic viability of offshore projects - https://www.worldoil.com/magazine/2016/july-2016/world-oils-100-year-anniversary/execution-collaboration-and-innovation-key-to-improving-economic-viability-of-offshore-projects
The detailed complete set of references are available on request in the 'Complete report' on purchase.
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
Transocean Ltd SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2021). Transocean Ltd SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/transocean/ [Accessed 18 Apr, 2021].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2021)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Transocean SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Tej Narayan Shaw and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.