COMPANY PROFILE -WestRock
Business Sector :Paper Packaging Solutions
Operating Geography :United Stetes, North America, Global
About WestRock :In 2015, the alliance of MeadWestvaco and Rocktenn gave America its second largest packaging company WestRock, headquartered in Atlanta Georgia. WestRock is a multinational provider of paper and packaging solutions for consumer and corrugated packaging markets. The company serves its consumers worldwide from its operating and business locations in North America, South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. WestRock's business strategy is to consolidate the industry’s most extensive portfolio of sustainable, fiber-based paper and packaging with, insights of its industry-leading expertise and automated packaging systems to render customized solutions that benefit their customers win in the marketplace. The company's business culture is rooted in its core values i.e. Integrity, Respect, Accountability, and Excellence. Additionally, with a long history of entrepreneurship, leadership, and innovation the company has made some game-changing advancements in papermaking, packaging design and retail solutions. With nearly 50,000 employees, 320 manufacturing facilities, design centers, research labs, and sales offices globally as of 2020, WestRock seamlessly delivers unbeatable packaging solutions around the world. For the fifth time in a row, WestRock was listed in Fortune's world's most admired companies 2020.
WestRock's vision is "to be the premier partner and unrivaled provider of winning solutions for our customers." WestRock's USP lies in being America's second-largest packaging company and one of world's largest packaging companies based on its revenue as of 2020.
WestRock Revenue :
$ 18,289.0 million - FY ending 30th September 2019 (y-o-y growth 12.3%)
$ 16,285.1 million - FY ending 30th September 2018
Competitive Analysis of WestRock
|1. Wide geographic presence makes the company truly global |
2. One of the largest producers of corrugated packaging material
3. Providing complete solutions for paper based products
4. Larger dependence on contractual workers
5. Sound credit-revolving facility
|1. Acquisition of risky assets
2. Allegations of usage of banned material in production:
3. High dependence on US for sales
4. Underpayment of pension deposits
|1. Rising demand of paper based packaging in e-commerce|
2. Growth of FMCG and pharmaceutical companies amid pandemic
|1. High competition in the business
2. Multiple litigations stressing out earnings
3. Availability of other material over paper for packaging
4. Lack of innovation compared to competitors:
5. Dented reputation due to allegations over asbestos exposure lawsuits
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of WestRock
1. Wide geographic presence makes the company truly global: WestRock is a global organization in a true sense. It has 320 facilities with different responsibilities like design, manufacturing, labs, offices, etc. with more than 50000 employees. The company is active in America, Europe, Australia, Asia-Pacific and South Africa. For manufacturing, there are currently 264 facilities in North America, 8 facilities in South America, 38 facilities in Europe, 4 in Asia Pacific and 2 in India. Forest resources are quite important for paper packaging as they serve as raw material. Due to high percentage of recycling, WestRock has only 19 forest reserves, one each in Brazil and China and rest in Eastern part of North America. The company has 36 locations for design and research and 85 locations for distribution, sales, marketing and related corporate affairs, spreading all over the world.The remaining section of “Strength” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
WeaknessThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
1. Rising demand of paper based packaging in e-commerce: E-commerce is about to rise with a CAGR of 15% up to 2023. The value of E-commerce was $3.5 trillion in 2019 and it was expected that e-commerce used corrugated packaging worth $20 million in 2019 too. Inspite of the usage ratio remaining same, even then corrugated increases by the same CAGR of 15%. With increasing preference of consumers towards sustainability and flexibility and lightweight packaging, paper packaging only sees an up thrust in the e-commerce market. It can serve as a huge opportunity to WestRock. With large e-commerce platforms like Amazon, Flipkart, Ebay and even white and brown goods producers plunging into e-commerce, WestRock can keep its investors happy with its all-round innovation and supply capability.The remaining section of "Opportunity” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
ThreatsThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
Major Competitors :
- International Paper
- Smurfit Kappa
- Graphic Packaging
- Pratt Industries
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
References used in WestRock Analysis Report
1. COMPANY | BUILDING A PAPER AND PACKAGING LEADER - https://www.westrock.com/company
2. Annaul Report 2019 - https://s21.q4cdn.com/975972157/files/doc_financials/2019/ar/2019-WestRock-Annual-Report.pdf
3. Quarterly report For the quarterly period ended March 31, 2020 - http://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0001732845/6ac3eb80-1631-4690-a5e0-4ea0a894ad7e.pdf
4. eCommerce Packaging Market Trends - https://www.midlandpaper.com/ecommerce-packaging-market-trends/
5. Paper Products Market to Grow Rapidly Owing to High Demand for Paper Packaging in Pharmaceutical, FMCG & Other Hospitality Service Sectors Till 2025 | Million Insights - https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/paper-products-market-to-grow-rapidly-owing-to-high-demand-for-paper-packaging-in-pharmaceutical-fmcg-amp-other-hospitality-service-sectors-till-2025-million-insights-868779867.html
The detailed complete set of references are available on request in the 'Complete report' on purchase.
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
WestRock SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2021). WestRock SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/westrock/ [Accessed 18 Apr, 2021].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2021)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
WestRock SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Tej Narayan Shaw and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.