COMPANY PROFILE -Monsanto Company
Business Sector :Agrochemical
Operating Geography :United States, North America
About Monsanto Company :Monsanto Company is an American agrochemical company which produces genetically engineered seeds and herbicides. It was one of the first companies to experiment with genes in plants. The company was founded by John Francis Queeny in 1901 and has its headquarters located in Creve Coeur, Missouri. As per 2017 records, the company employs as many as 20,800 people across the world.
Monsanto Company Revenue :US$13.5 billion (2016)
Competitive Analysis of Monsanto Company
|1. Record Sales and Profit|
2. Valuable Recognition
3. Strong financial performance
|1. Legal allegations
2. Competition from other players
|1. Development in crop analysis tools|
2. Expansion through merger
|1. Controversies at times
2. Government regulations
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of Monsanto Company
1. Record Sales and Profit: In the fiscal year 2017, the company has reported EPS of $5.09 as compared to $2.99 of 2016. The company expects to grow further in the future years. With innovation being a key driver, the company’s business specifically in the Seeds and Genocide segment has marked record sales and gross profit. Monsanto reported net sales of $2.7 billion for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2017.
2. Valuable Recognition: In the year 2017, Monsanto Company has been recognized as one of 2017 Working Mother 100 Best Companies by Working Mother magazine. The company has well framed programs for its workforce in terms of advancement of women, flexibility, childcare and paid parental leave. President of Monsanto’s active Family Network has also been recognized as the company’s 2017 Working Mother of the Year.
3. Strong financial performance: Monsanto Company is one of the major players in its sector. In its 2016 annual report, they have presented strong financial growth. The Y-o-Y change in EBIT from 2015 to 2016 is recorded at 31%. Net sales increased by 10% in 2016 over the past year figures.
1. Legal allegations: Monsanto has faced a lot of legal allegations in the past. The Dicamba herbicide lawsuit is still undergoing trial. There have been other lawsuits and resistance by common people as well. These affects customer loyalty, trust on the brand and in turn affects the business of the company.
2. Competition from other players: There are a number of competitors to Monsanto in different segments of operation like Dow Chemical Company, Evogene Ltd., Agrium, CF Industries Holdings, etc. These companies are simultaneously working on their expansion and trying to build their hold on the market by increasing their market share in their respective segments. This has resulted in limited market share of Monsanto Company in the current market.
1. Development in crop analysis tools: The company has partnered with innovative aerial imagery companies to help advance the crop analysis through the high resolution imagery and technology. This will help farmers make informed, data-driven agronomic decisions. There is a scope for growth of the company through development in this field.
2. Expansion through merger: There has been a lot of talk around the Bayer-Monsanto deal for more than a year. If two of the world’s most innovative life sciences companies combine, then it would open up new doors in the sector. The future is quite uncertain threatened by expected famine, civil war, mass migrations, etc. To tackle such situations, we can think of something big that could solve problems on a large scale and that is very much possible with completion of this deal.
The unpublished sections of the entire SWOT analysis is available in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
Monsanto Company SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2020). Monsanto Company SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/monsanto-company/ [Accessed 07 Jul, 2020].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2020)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
Monsanto SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Abhisek Patra and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.