COMPANY PROFILE -XPO Logistics
Business Sector :Logistics and Transport
Operating Geography :United States, North America, Global
About XPO Logistics :XPO Logistics is an American multinational contract logistics and transportation company. The company operates in 30 countries and manages supply chains for 50,000 customers with addition of 69 of the Fortune 100. The XPO Logistics is headquartered in Greenwich, United States. The company leverages the talent of 100,000 employees working around the world. In 2011 Bradley Jacobs, an American businessman obtained Express-1 Expedited Solution, Inc. and became it’s chairman and CEO. Later the company started acquiring other companies in the transportation and logistics sector and changed its name to XPO Logistics – a reference to Express-1’s AMEX ticker symbol. The company runs in two segments: transportation and contract logistics. Transportation segment includes freight brokerage which joins independent road carriers with companies that need to transfer materials, parts, or finished goods. The company combines railroad and truck transportation. It organizes the home delivery of heavy goods in different countries and continents. Contract logistics services includes E-commerce, warehousing and distribution, management of returned goods, cold chain and supply optimization. The company has sealed a slew of acquisitions to make foray into a variety of sectors such as technology, retail/e-commerce and aerospace. The 2020 awards have recognized XPO as a top-tier provider of multi-regional less-than- truckload service, value added warehousing and distribution, transportation management solutions.
XPO Logistics’ unique selling proposition lies in it being the second largest third-party contract logistics provider globally. The company’s mission statement reads, “People, technology, assets and expertise that work together around the globe to help our customers succeed.”
XPO Logistics Revenue :
US $16,648 billion - FY ending 31st March 2019 (Y-O-Y growth of (negative) -3.65%)
US $17,279 billion - FY ending 31st December 2018
Competitive Analysis of XPO Logistics
|1. Largest service provider of last mile delivery and logistics in North America|
2. One of the largest contract-based logistics facilitators, freight brokerage provider and transportation across the globe
3. A reputed reverse logistics facilitator
4. Strong presence as e-fulfillment facilitator in e-commerce sector in North America and Europe
5. Disruptive usage of technology in modernizing supply chain
|1. Allegations of exploitation of workforce
2. Poor track record in adherence to safety protocols
3. Desire to divest acquired businesses reflects poor analysis
4. Depreciating financials of the company
|1. Demand in the delivery of groceries in E-commerce|
2. Demand of supply chain facilitators in healthcare and pharma sectors
3. Scope of driverless last mile delivery transportation
|1. High competition due to fragmented nature of business
2. Withdrawal of the plan of disinvestment due to Covid-19
3. Large e-commerce platforms launching their own transportation and logistics initiatives
4. Periodic shortage of drivers in the transportation business
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of XPO Logistics
1. Largest service provider of last mile delivery and logistics in North America: With rapid growth in e-commerce, demand for logistics and transport for last mile delivery is also rising rapidly. Unlike freight services, which facilitate mass transportation of cargo, last mile delivery services include transport of shipment in small quantities from small e-commerce retailers and warehouses of large online e-commerce platforms to buyers. XPO logistics has expertise in this area to serve its customers with over 85 last mile delivery hubs in North America, which can serve 90% of the regions population smoothly. Through its own assets and network of independent contractors, XPO serves its customer in North America and Europe. With a large fleet of over 100000 trucks, combining both independent carriers, 50000 independent brokered careers, XPO Logistics turns to be the largest service provider of last mile delivery transportation in North America.
2. One of the largest contract-based logistics facilitators, freight brokerage provider and transportation across the globe: XPO Logistics is the second largest service provider of contract based warehousing space and e-fulfillment facilitator. It uses its scalable proficiency in delivery management, reverse logistics and transportation to provide maximum convenience to its consumers. In 2019, the company had over 19 million sq. m. of space for warehousing facilities. With warehousing, freight and transportation are also the key areas of expertise of XPO. It has its own large fleet in North America and has a large network of independent contractors to avail transportation. It enables XPO to avail services across oceans and door to door too. The company is the top five global service provider of managed transportation. The company has the capacity to provide expedite services to 99% of US zip codes, expanding its wings to the rest of North America. Being licensed by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Service, XPO provides direct brokerage service to custom importers, vessel operators and competitors too. Through its own large fleet of vehicles and outsourced services from owner-operators of vehicles XPO Logistics serves with end to end logistics services to consumers in various sectors like e-commerce, food and beverage, technology, aerospace, wireless, manufacturing and other industrial, chemical, agribusiness, life sciences and healthcare.The remaining section of “Strength” is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
WeaknessThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
OpportunityThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
ThreatsThis section is available only in the 'Complete Report' on purchase.
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
References used in XPO Logistics Analysis Report
1. XPO logistics annual report 2019 - https://investors.xpo.com/static-files/b5c2f2b1-855d-4feb-92df-62731ea73ea6
2. XPO Logistics To Explore Breakup - https://www.forbes.com/sites/joecornell/2020/01/21/xpo-logistics-to-explore-breakup/?sh=6ebab8043747
3. New Report Claims Extensive Worker Abuses at One of the World’s Largest Logistics Companies - https://www.vice.com/en/article/935x4y/new-report-claims-extensive-worker-abuses-at-one-of-the-worlds-largest-logistics-companies
4. XPO Logistics Debt to Equity Ratio 2006-2020 - https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/XPO/xpo-logistics/debt-equity-ratio
5. E-Commerce And Grocery: This Time It’s Real - https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilstern/2020/04/27/e-commerce-and-grocery-this-time-its-real/?sh=48a1bbd65d65
The detailed complete set of references are available on request in the 'Complete report' on purchase.
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
XPO Logistics SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2021). XPO Logistics SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/xpo-logistics/ [Accessed 18 Apr, 2021].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2021)
Copyrights and Disclaimer
XPO Logistics SWOT and PESTLE analysis has been conducted by Tej Narayan Shaw and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.