COMPANY PROFILE -David Jones Limited
Business Sector :Retail
Operating Geography :Australia, Global
About David Jones Limited :The Company was founded in 1838 by David Jones. The company is headquartered in Sydney, Australia and employed around 7900 people as of July 2014. David Jones has currently 39 stores located across most of the Australian states. The company's products include ladies' fashion, menswear, shoes & accessories, cosmetics, children’s wear & toys, home wares, stationery, books, CDs & DVDs, white goods, etc. The company provides financial services and includes the David Jones store credit card. The company also offers other products and services that include insurance cards, gift cards, etc.
David Jones Limited Revenue :A$2.2 billion (2016)
Competitive Analysis of David Jones Limited
|1. Oldest operating departmental store in the retail sector of Australia and the world. |
2. Unrelenting loyalty of the customers for the brand.
3. Wide range of high quality Australian and international brands spread across fashion, beauty and living.
4. Omni-channel retailing through a variety of channels like stores, websites, etc.
5. Cost price harmonization for all the brands.
6. Competitive prices on the best national and international brands.
7. Acquisition of the company by Woolworths Holdings has helped the company improve its market position.
|1. Weak financial position of the company amid the global financial crisis mainly due to difficult trading conditions and changing consumer sentiments.
2. Loss of sales of the company to international online retailers.
3. Capital invested on the refurbishment of stores may lower the cash flow for other engagements.
|1. Acquisition will result in world's largest department store that can offer highly enhanced value proposition.|
2. Private label strategy.
3. Internal re jigging of management structure to enhance productivity and profitability of the company.
4. New fashion focused small stores for enhancement of market presence.
5. Weak Australian dollar improving domestic online retail sales.
|1. Competition threats from international retailers in the established sector by setting up of shops across Australia.
2. Competition threats from the international retailers in the online retailing sector.
3. Cost price harmonisation strategy resulting in loss of suppliers.
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Detailed SWOT Analysis of David Jones Limited
1. Weak financial position of the company amid the global financial crisis mainly due to difficult trading conditions and changing consumer sentiments: The company’s financial performance has been declining for the period 2009-2013. The net revenue of David Jones decreased from $1985.5 million in FY2009 to $1845 million in FY2013 by a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -1.82%. The decrease in the revenues was attributed to the challenging trading environment and also the strategy of the company to improve margins by reducing the amount of discounting. Also, the operating profit and the net profit decreased from $225.6 million and $156.5 million in FY2009 to $149 million and $101.6 million in FY2013 respectively. The operating profit and the net profit saw a CAGR of -10% and -10% respectively. Subsequently, the cash flow from operations also decreased to $180 million for the FY2013 from $196.7 million for FY2012 due to changes in the working capital in the FY2012. This indicates a gloomy position for the company majorly due to difficult trading conditions attributing to the weak consumer sentiments amid the global financial crisis and migration of the shoppers to online international retailers.
2. Loss of sales of the company to international online retailers: The company has been losing sales to international online retailers of late due to slowness in embracing online shopping while the counterparts Macy’s and John Lewis in USA and UK are encouraging people to shop online and have already reported huge profits through online shopping.
3. Capital invested on the refurbishment of stores may lower the cash flow for other engagements: The Capital invested on the refurbishment of stores to make them well informed, equip them with modern technology, make them look hugely different in terms of visual products, concession stores as well as the arena of retail space may lower the cash flow for other engagements.
- with PayPal
- with Debit/Credit card
Check Out Analysis of Other Relevant Companies
TABLE OF CONTENTS
DELIVERY AND FORMAT
WHY CHOOSE US?
How to Reference This Page?
You can use the following in your reference section in order to give credit to the source. For different referencing styles and detailed guidelines, please click here.
David Jones Limited SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.COM
SWOT & PESTLE.com (2020). David Jones Limited SWOT & PESTLE Analysis - SWOT & PESTLE.com. [online] Available at: https://www.swotandpestle.com/david-jones-limited/ [Accessed 01 Apr, 2020].
In-text: (SWOT & PESTLE.com, 2020)
Copyrights and DisclaimerDavid Jones Limited PESTLE analysis has been conducted and reviewed by senior analysts from Barakaat Consulting.
Copyright of David Jones Limited SWOT and PESTLE Analysis is the property of Barakaat Consulting. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions page for usage guidelines.